So, you are trying to install QuickBooks and during the installation process an error 1618 comes up on the screen:
Error: There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (1618).
If you are not so tech-savvy like me, this would be the worst day of your life. Seeing the word ERROR just seems like the world is about to end. There would be hundreds of questions in your mind. What does this mean? What if my computer will not work again? Will I lose all my files?
Well, if you see this error, no need to freak out. Even though you might not know everything about Windows, you can easily fix this error. Of course, with our help.
We have mentioned easy ways to fix this problem.
What is QuickBooks?
QuickBooks is accounting software that has been used by small to large businesses. It is developed by Intuit and offers cloud-based and on-premises accounting apps. These apps will help in payroll functions, manage and pay bills, and accept business payments.
Though it is one of the best software for accounting, it is prone to errors. Error 1618 is a common error encountered by many users. It is normal to see this error when updating or installing the programs.
Use a Diagnostic Tool
One of the easiest ways to fix the error 1618 is by using the Install Diagnostic Tool by QB. This is a great tool that will identify the error and fix it automatically.
- First, you will have to download the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool on your computer.
- After that, you must open the file name QB Install tool ending with .exe extension.
- Once you run it, a dialog box will appear, License Agreement.
- On that window, you should click the “Yes” button.
- The next step is to click on the “Proceed” button to start the scanning process.
- When the scan is complete, you must restart your computer.
- Then, try to install QuickBooks again.
Manually Resolve the Error 1618
Check MSIEXEC.EXE instances
In this solution, you will have to check if MSIEXEC.EXE instances are running.
- Start by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys to open Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and click on Image Name and reset the column. This will display the list in alphabetical order, so you can easily find the programs.
- Now, you have to search for the processes named EXE and end them.
- After that, close the task manager and restart your computer.
Reinstall Microsoft Runtime Libraries
We would recommend getting help from someone who knows the Windows operating system.
- The first thing you must do is download the MS Visual C++ redistributable package. You should select a Redistributable Package (x64) for 64-bit windows and a Redistributable Package (x86) for 32-bit windows.
- Then, you must save the downloaded file in an easy to find folder. The best destination will be your Desktop.
- Next, open the file vcredist_X64.exe or vcredist_X86.exe. Follow the instructions.
- After that, you should run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool.
Update Windows Installer
Another solution is to update the existing version of Windows Installer.
- For this, you must log in to your computer as “Administrator”.
- Check if the Windows Installer is updated or not.
- Then, go to “My Computer” and open C:\WINDOWS\system 32.
- Next, right-click on the exe file. You must choose “Properties” and click “Version”.
- You can update the Installer if it is not the latest version.
- Restart your computer.
Create Backup of Windows Registry
- You must open the run command from the Start tab in the Windows taskbar.
- A dialog box will open. You should enter “regedit” and press the “OK” button.
- Then, open “My Computer” and open the “File” menu. Go to the “Export” option.
- Next, go to the “Export Range” and choose the “All” option.
- Now, you should save the Windows registry backup on your computer.
- Delete the keys when the backup is completed.
Error 1618 FAQs
Why does Error 1618 occur?
There are many causes, some of the common causes include:
- QuickBooks’s program files are deleted.
- The installation is incomplete or corrupted
- Windows System files or QuickBook files are infected.
- There might be corruption in the windows.
How do I know it is Error 1618?
- The computer will crash a lot.
- You can see the error message on the screen.
- For a few seconds, your system will stop.
What if the error still occurs?
No need to worry, these solutions will fix the problem for you. If not, you can call customer support.
Will this damage my computer?
Nor the software or solutions will cause any sort of damage to your computer.
What is iPhone error 1618?
Try uninstalling iTunes to solve iPhone error 1618.
Hopefully, you will be able to fix this error using these methods.